History of the Lodge
A charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of England dated 21st October 1872 to form a lodge in Stockton-on-Tees
to be named the Lodge of Fraternity. The lodge was duly consecrated on 3rd April 1873 by the Provincial Grand
Master, Rt. W Bro John Fawcett.
The lodge was consecrated in what was then a new Masonic Hall, built only three years earlier, on a site on the opposite side of Wellington Street to our present building. In 1876, the lodge moved to a new, larger Masonic Hall, where we have continued to meet ever since. The old building on the north side of Wellington Street was sold to the Borough of Stockton for use as the town’s public library. The current building is now one of the most historic in Stockton.
There is no record of why the founders chose the name of Fraternity, or why they chose the motto Fraternus amor maneto, “Let brotherly love remain”. However, the origins of our banner are clear. The banner comprises the Stockton coat of arms (the castle and anchor) with our lodge motto inscribed.